Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Day 22: Family Saturday

Today we slept in which was truly wonderful. Then we had breakfast outside in the garden with Mama and Baba. There was a feast of arrow root, beef sausage, avocado, oranges, boiled eggs, and coffee. It, of course, was delicious. During breakfast we told Mama and Baba about our travels and remarked on how much we loved our host brothers and sisters. Baba told us Frank's story and how his mother passed away about a month and a half ago. He's really been struggling with it, but is very bright and loving. 


Breakfast in the garden 

After breakfast, I cleared the table and Baba took Amber and I slug hunting. There were so many! They live between the bark of the banana trees and they're huge. We also walked through his coffee farm and discussed how to prune them so that all of the leaves get sunlight. He also showed us how to prepare for the next season and explained about the process of building houses in Tanzania. I've really grown passionate about this place and am seriously considering returning next year after I finish my masters to get some ground work experience in international social work to beef up my resume. Plus, I just love this place and the people and the culture. Mama says i should come back and bring my boyfriend so she can meet him. Baba says he wants me to return and live in the "small" house I'm living in now. I asked how much he would charge me for rent and he said probably like $500 a month. He asked where I would want to work and I told him it would be cool to work at the Nkwaranga Orphanage. He said if I have a passion for Nkwaranga then consider myself hired. He knows the director, they are good friends and Baba has familial ties to the organization. 

Baba's coffee

Slugs!

Mama's beans 

I'm really going this some thought and I think it would be a great opportunity in many ways. I figure I will do a lot of research and calculations when I get home. I'll also have to continue emailing Baba and working things out. I guess we'll have to see where the wind takes me 💁🏻💨🌍💜

Panoramas of our host family's compound 

As for later in the day, we went to Tengeru and picked up our dresses. We also navigated the hectic market to purchase groceries with Baba. After that, we hung out outside until dinner which was a delicious array of foods including chipsi maai (not sure if I spelt the second word right), carrots and green beans, cucumber and avocado salad, and pumpkin. I figured I wouldn't be a fan of the pumpkin and I was right, but everything else was scrumptious. Then, baba told us why he doesn't support the ruling party and we discussed why the people of Tanzania are poor. It's not because they don't have resources, it's because the government doesn't put money into the people. It is highly corrupt. Then, we discussed the difference in power structures between Tanzanian and American families. It was a great day. I love my Tanzanian family 🌍😍

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment