Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Day 21: the 10 hour drive back to Arusha

After some craziness regarding being on time and ready, we all loaded up onto the bus and started our journey at 6:30am. We reserved 30 seats and the rest were bought by other Tanzanians who also wished to travel to Arusha. The hotel made us little breakfast bags with a cinnamon nut roll, a boiled egg, 2 samosas, a yogurt, and some juice. It wasn't bad tasting but after eating it I felt like crap, which was made worse by how hot it was on the bus. The ride out of the city was bumpy and made me want to vomit, but I stayed strong. I put my headphones in and tried to drown out the awful music that the bus driver was blaring as we jerked from stop to go and back. 


I dozed on and off for the first leg of the trip and tried to drink very little because bathroom breaks were few and far between. Thank the universe for music or I might have lost my mind. The bus AC was broken and the driver wasblasting the worst music. I shifted in my seat a bunch, no doubt disturbing Amber each time until we got a 30 minute break at a rest stop sort of place for lunch and bathroom breaks. I got chicken and fries, but the fries weren't cooked and after a few bites of chicken, I quit. It tasted fine, but something about it was suspect and I decided to just forgo the rest of the meal and practice self preservation. 

Bus boredom selfies 

Too soon we were back on the bus, and honestly, I was over it. I was tired of being cramped in a hot bus with crappy loud music and the stank that comes with a bus filled with sweaty people. There was a funny moment when my heart will go on came on and everyone burst into song though. 

After a lot of groaning and sweating we finally arrived at TCDC. It felt so good to be home and I was so happy to see Mama. She was wearing one of my favorite dresses that she owns and smiling as she walked towards us with her arms open wide. I have really come to love Arusha and my host family. As I near the end of my time in Tanzania I find myself conflicted. I love and miss my family, friends, boyfriend, and cat but it's going to be so hard to leave the people I've met here and the connection I've made to this beautiful place. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment